Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Disneyland, Christmas, and God


Christmas gives me a picture of how God views us.
So did our recent trip to Disneyland.

In both cases, I was in a position of a father who wanted to do everything I could to love my kids by giving them special things and special experiences.

Here are some thoughts that have occurred to me about how there might be some important parallels between how God wants to love us as our Father, and how we want to love our kids:

1. Giving special things and special experiences is costly and stressful at times.
Christ's incarnation, suffering and crucifixion was extremely costly to Him.
So is organizing and paying for a family Disneyland trip.

2. It is a tremendous joy to see my kids delight in the gifts and experiences that my wife and I provide for them.
God gives us gifts and experiences every day that are easy to overlook...or at least forget to acknowledge as coming from Him:

It can be an act of worship to admire a sunset, rainbow, or any other part of creation that brings us amazement. 
I feel God's presence when I enjoy sounds like a baby's laughter, birds chirping, or beautiful music.
A warm blanket on a cold winter night is definitely a gift. Many tastes and smells bring smiles and pleasure, as well.
Much of our sensory input is really a gift from God. If avoiding danger was their only purpose, then all of our senses, and the stimuli available in this world, would be much simpler. But take a moment to think about all the complexity and multi-sensory beauty that God has given us.

We can feel the gift of God's presence when we enjoy mature, healthy, enriching relationships.
God loves it when we enjoy His creation, and His involvement in our lives. 

Even if we don't choose to attribute these gifts as coming from Him, I choose to believe that He delights in our enjoyment of them, nonetheless. 

3. Not everything is appreciated by my kids as I intended and hoped.
If you have attempted to provide something special to your kids that, well, just didn't pan out, you know what I'm talking about here!
Many, many of God's children have chosen not to accept His gift of relationship with Him, and of salvation.


When we went to Disneyland over Thanksgiving break a few weeks ago, these two verses came to mind, as my wife and I were structuring the day to bring maximum fun and joy to our boys. They come to mind today, also, as I think about the physical gifts that they received.

So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.
Matthew 7:11 NLT

Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? 
Romans 8:32 NLT



No comments:

Post a Comment